Suited for everyone
Green Office is suited to all sizes of offices and all kinds of organisations, whether they are in the private or public sector. Even small actions can make a difference if enough people are involved.
Office premises hold a key position in energy consumption and in environmentally sustainable working methods and solutions. Green Office motivates your office staff to act in an environmentally friendly way in everyday tasks. And because the scheme also improves environmental awareness and creates savings, it benefits your company as well as the environment.
We will give you the help and tools you need to plan your Green Office solutions. With Green Office, your office will achieve real results.
Green Office is developed by WWF Finland. The Green Office programme turns 15 in 2017.
The Finnish Green Office network currently includes 409 offices from 154 organisations, with a total of around 58,900 employees. (Figures: September 2017)
Other countries currently have 128 Green Offices from 106 organisations, with around 34,200 employees in total. In addition to Finland, other WWF Green Office networks are administered in China, Latvia, Pakistan, and Turkey. (Figures: April 2017)
5 steps to Green Office
2. Create an environmental management system (EMS)
Upon joining the network, your organisation has a year to prepare a practical EMS for the office. Select a Green Office contact person and a Green Office team from among your personnel. To help create the system, you may use web tools provided by WWF. These can be found in our Compass service.
3. Arrange for an office inspection
When the environmental management system is ready, a WWF Green Office expert will inspect your office premises. If your office passes the inspection, it will receive the Green Office diploma and the right to use the Green Office logo. After the office inspection, the first annual fee will be charged.
Once your organisation has been granted the Green Office labelling rights, you can begin to report on the chosen key indicators to WWF. In addition, each Green Office updates its environmental programme every year. Reporting takes place annually in the spring using our Compass service and the Climate Calculator. We will send the reporting guidelines to your Green Office contact person.
5. Develop and improve
An office with the Green Office labelling rights should strive for constant development of its environmental management system, and for improvement of environmental awareness among its personnel. We will inspect your office premises once every three years. During these reviews, fulfilment of the Green Office criteria and use of the Green Office logo will be monitored.
Green Offices aim to improve their eco-efficiency. You will get the Green Office label once your office:
- Selects a Green Office coordinator and team.
- Plans a practical environmental programme.
- Improves energy efficiency continuously in order to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions.
- Reduces waste, and recycles, and sorts waste according to law and local requirements.
- Pays attention to environmental concerns in procurements.
- Informs and educates its personnel about Green Office practices.
- Takes steps towards continuous improvement in environmental matters.
- Update its environmental programme annually.
- Chooses the indicators, sets numeric objectives, and monitors fulfilment of the goals.
- Reports to WWF annually.
Contact Helka Julkunen, Head of Green Office programme: firstname.lastname@example.org or +358 40 531 0555.
7 reasons to become a Green Office
- You act against climate change by reducing emissions of your office.
- You save money for example by reducing electricity and paper consumption in everyday office tasks.
- You get ready-made tools which help you to implement the environmental management system.
- You get measurable results quickly.
- Common goal engages in environmental work and helps to create a team spirit amongst your colleagues.
- Green Office helps you to communicate your organisation’s values.
- You get the right to use the Green Office logo.